If comfort food is something you crave, these meatballs will always hit the spot. Perfectly moist and drenched in a scrumptious tomato sauce this meatball recipe will be added to the weekly dinner favourites. This is a big batch recipe and able to be frozen for those evenings where you want something delish but don't have the time or energy. This recipe will teach you how to make a quick and easy tomato sauce that will have you ditching the store bought pasta sauces forever. Seriously, it's that good.
While meatballs are typically a finicky dish this recipe is simple and to the point. It does require some effort, but make a big batch and freeze it for those days where you need something hearty. I've tried to keep it simple, and using just one seasoning makes it so quick and easy. There's no endless list of seasonings here. Our Magic BBQ rub provides all the herbs & spices you will need for this.
Serve this dish on its own, or spread things out with some spaghetti and garlic bread. The perfect combination we all know and love.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Servings: 4-6 servings (more when served with pasta & garlic bread)
3 tablespoons Magic BBQ Rub
500g beef mince
500g pork mince
1 brown onion finely diced or grated
4 gloves of garlic finely diced or grated
1 handful of parsley finely chopped
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 large or 2 small eggs
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons of salt & pepper
Knob of freshly grated Parmesan or 1/4 cup of packet Parmesan
Drizzle of olive oil
Basil and parsley to serve
For tomato sauce
800g tinned chopped tomatoes
1 brown onion
2 sprigs of basil
4 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
Drizzle of olive oil
Simply blend all ingredients in a blender and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes until reduced and deepened in colour. Adding water occasionally if needed.
• Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl
• Mix with hands until well combined
*don't over mix, simply combine gently using a folding motion. Ensure everything is well combined* • Adjust your mixture if needed. Add more breadcrumbs if it's to wet, or more olive oil/an extra egg if it's too dry. Add slowly, as it's easier to add than take away.
• Roll into balls and place on an oiled tray. You can choose how big or small you'd like them.
Use firm but gentle pressure to roll the meatballs, they should hold its shape but not be to dense.
• Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and refrigerate for 15 minutes if possible.
I usually start on my tomato sauce at this stage.
• Heat a large pan on medium-high heat and place meatballs in oiled pan and cook for 5-10 minutes.
• Brown meatballs on all sides before adding tomato sauce. This is where a lot of the flavours develop, so it's important not to add your tomato sauce before your meatballs have browned completely.
• Finally, add your tomato sauce and simmer with lid on for roughly 45 minutes to an hour depending on meatball size. Adding water and reducing again if necessary. Take lid off with 5 minutes remaining.
Sprinkle with a final pinch of parsley and basil leaves and one last seasoning of salt and pepper.
Serve on its own or with pasta & garlic bread.
Absolutely hearty and delicious.
Don't forget to tag us if you recreate this recipe! I love to see all your creations.
@spicedup.shop on all platforms